our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > General Discussion
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

General Discussion Open discussion about Paxil, Paxil Withdrawal, successes and progress, good stories and bad, with and without.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 01-14-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
hangover

paxil, the devil's drug

Im new here so forgive me in advance. I had no idea a forum like this exsisted, greatful for it (nice to know i'm not alone.) At the advice of my doctor I stopped taking 40mg of paxil to take 1mg of respirdone. She told me I should just quit the paxil and start the other. I started this hell ride the 9th of this month. One of the worse symptoms I am having is feeling like I have a unreal hangover. I think I am also having what is refered to as zapps, kinda like these wierd brain blip. This withdrawl has left me flat on my back most of the time. I had a brother who was on meth and I don't think his withdrawl lasted this long. I wished I lived close to GSK because I would love to go suffer this withdrawl in the lobby of their posh building as prospective investors came and went. This drug may have helped me at one time, I have taken it for GAD for about 10 plus years. All I know is right now it is stealing days of my life and inflicting what I would call cruel and unusual punishment for the crime of simply wanting to feel better years ago. I can say without a doubt I hate this drug and I want away from it ASAP. I am really confused as to what to do right now. It sounds like I should have been instructed to tapper off by my DR. but since that didn't happen should I just keep off the stuff hoping to feel better soon or do I need a better game plan. Hope is keeping me going right now, I am affraid of what will happen however if the withdrawl chases the hope out of me.
hangover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
imokay
Sometimes ya just gotta
say F$%^ YOU!

Re: paxil, the devil's drug

You need to call your Dr and let him/her know what is going on. You need to slowly taper off of Paxil. There are a lot of people here that have tried cold swtiching to another drug and it didn't work out (as you are finding out).

When the world says, "Give up,"
Hope whispers, "Try it one more time."

"In order to succeed, your desire for success should be greater than your fear of failure"

imokay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:54 PM   #3
jule1

You need to reinstate the Paxil and taper slowly...8-10% per 4-6 weeks. I wouldn't stick out cold turkey.

36 months off Effexor January 2011 Supplements:
Tryptophan, Magnesium, Fish Oil, Calcium D, Stress B Complex, Ashwagandha,
tapering .5 mg Xanax taken at bedtime for close to 4 years
2/15/10-.4375mg
3/12/10-.375 mg
4/5/10-.3125 mg
4/23/10-.25 mg
5/21/10-.1875 mg
6/17/10-.125 mg
7/13/10-.0625mg
8/29/10-0
jule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:02 PM   #4
Jynee

I know how you feel. I hate it too, and feel like it really messed me up. I too went c/t, and it sucks big time, but no matter what, we can get through this!

On Paxil for 6 years..

Tried unsuccessfully 2x's to reduce and get off within the last 2 years...(dr's messed me up)

Was forced to go almost "cold turkey" and was Paxil free for 5 weeks. (Mid-Dec 09 thru mid-Jan.) Had horrid w/d.

1/19/10 - back on at 15mg.
1/29/10 - back to 30mg.
2/2/10 - .5 mg Clonopin 2x a day
2/2/10 - 25 mg. Atenolol

2/22/10 - 40mg. Paxil
2/22/10 - 50mg. Atenolol
2/22/10 - .5mg Clonopin 1x a day

Jynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:59 PM   #5
Homerbcool
"Infatuated with kazoobies"

Agreed you can get through this, but up to you at what level of quality of life...this is why we suggest a slow taper...quality of life....it is real important to have a good support system around you at home as well, if possible, not always is
Old 01-14-2010, 03:40 PM   #6
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Your doc is an idiot. Paxil and risperidone are completely different drugs and not interchangeable. You need to reinstate the Paxil and do a slow taper. Drops of no more than 10% with at least 3 weeks between drops. It sounds like, after 10 years use, the Paxil has pooped out on you. However, your body has become dependent on it and needs it to function. Even in poop-out you still need to taper slowly. Cold turkey is dangerous, it can be very severe and take years to recover from. Liquid paxil is the easiest way to taper, but if you can't get it you can cut pills and weigh them on a digital scale.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg Apr 5.8mg May 5.7mg Jun 5.6mg Sep 5.5mg Nov 5.4mg Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg 31 Mar 4.2mg 12 May 4.1mg 7 Jun 4.0mg 26 Jul 3.9mg 5 Sep 3.8mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 04:00 PM   #7
Junior

I agree with Songbird - your doctor is an idiot. Paxil is an SSRI, Risperidone is an anti-psychotic and works very differently. You can't just switch from one to the other.

I also agree with what everyone else has said about getting back on the Paxil and tapering slowly. 40mg is quite a high dose. You can't just stop it.

Junior

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2009 23 Sept - 40mg; 12 Dec -30mg;
2010 Up and down - 25mg-30mg; 17 Dec-26mg
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg
2013 27 Jan-12mg, 11 Mar-11.5mg, 2 May-11mg, 10 July-13mg, added 12.5mg Amitryptline 20 July; 5 Aug-titrated up to 75mg, stopped @13 Aug due to SS

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous
Junior is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 07:43 AM   #8
hangover

Why is it my Doc didn't tell me this? I realize all answers will mostly be speculation. Thank you all for your responses from my previous post. I just couldn't hack it anymore yesterday and took some of the good old paxil. If it had not been for this website I would have probably thought that I had failed by having to take the paxil again. Are Doctors just ingnorant becausr of the misinformation they are fed from the drug companies. I don't see a shrink because of the cost and the fact that I feel like finding a good one is rather difficult, do they provide better information than a G/P?

Anyway after taking the paxil yesterday I still feel awful, however compared to how I feel compared to before I took it I fell like Tom Cruise on Oprah's couch right now. I only feel like 100% crap today as compared to the 900% crap I have felt like since C/T advice from my doctor. Im wondering if my Doc's medical degree maybe came out of the back of a Rolling Stone.
hangover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 03:05 PM   #9
ArizonaWill
Banned

My opinion is that doctors simply do not know that Paxil has potentially serious withdrawal side effects. The manufacturer has been sued in a class action suit by people harmed by it, but the results in such law suits are often locked up after the case is settled. There is evidence that the manufacturer instructs its sales staff to dramatically downplay the potential of side effects and withdrawal problems when visiting doctors. Unless your doctor has had a patient go through serious withdrawal, he simply does not know. I realize it is annoying that doctors do not bother to scan the internet for the latest information on the drugs they push, but I have found that most doctors rely on whatever the drug company reps tell them. I've had a patch of skin on my arm that is dry and scaly. Every time I see the doctor, he has a new "wonder drug" free sample to give me, which he just got from a drug company sales rep. So I feel like a guinea pig for whatever slop the drug companies are pushing whenever I visit the doctor.

You therefore really need to educate yourself on the internet. This should not be the way it is, but it is the way it is! Thank God for the internet. We cannot expect doctors to care or even know what is best for us anymore (if they ever did know). Doctors see you for an average in the USA of about 10 minutes per visit. Then they forget you even exist. You must be vigilant for your own wellbeing.
ArizonaWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 08:06 AM   #10
dolly64
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaWill View Post
My opinion is that doctors simply do not know that Paxil has potentially serious withdrawal side effects. The manufacturer has been sued in a class action suit by people harmed by it, but the results in such law suits are often locked up after the case is settled. There is evidence that the manufacturer instructs its sales staff to dramatically downplay the potential of side effects and withdrawal problems when visiting doctors. Unless your doctor has had a patient go through serious withdrawal, he simply does not know. I realize it is annoying that doctors do not bother to scan the internet for the latest information on the drugs they push, but I have found that most doctors rely on whatever the drug company reps tell them. I've had a patch of skin on my arm that is dry and scaly. Every time I see the doctor, he has a new "wonder drug" free sample to give me, which he just got from a drug company sales rep. So I feel like a guinea pig for whatever slop the drug companies are pushing whenever I visit the doctor.

You therefore really need to educate yourself on the internet. This should not be the way it is, but it is the way it is! Thank God for the internet. We cannot expect doctors to care or even know what is best for us anymore (if they ever did know). Doctors see you for an average in the USA of about 10 minutes per visit. Then they forget you even exist. You must be vigilant for your own wellbeing.
doctors are well aware psychiatric drugs have withdrawal symptoms and damage minds and bodies. its never been a secret in the medical field between doctors, only the victims taking the drugs dont know and are never told of the extreme risks/dangers. they intentionally do not tell you the side effects because they want you as a life long customer for profit.
dolly64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:30 AM   #11
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolly64 View Post
doctors are well aware psychiatric drugs have withdrawal symptoms and damage minds and bodies. its never been a secret in the medical field between doctors, only the victims taking the drugs dont know and are never told of the extreme risks/dangers. they intentionally do not tell you the side effects because they want you as a life long customer for profit.
Uh...that wouldn't be doctors, that would be drug companies. They're the ones wanting life long customers and profits.

And, I beg to differ regarding doctors anyway. My doctor use to prescribe Paxil and stopped prescribing it, after he saw what it was doing to his patients and actually, we're finding doctors prescribing Paxil less and actually posted a news article about it just a few weeks ago. No one will deny doctors are ignorant and even some are in denial, but to make is sound like some global consipiracy theory is wrong. You're reading too many Scientology sites.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!

Last edited by LCrawford67 : 01-16-2010 at 09:42 AM.
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #12
Jessamine

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Uh...that wouldn't be doctors, that would be drug companies. They're the ones wanting life long customers and profits.

And, I beg to differ regarding doctors anyway. My doctor use to prescribe Paxil and stopped prescribing it, after he saw what it was doing to his patients and actually, we're finding doctors prescribing Paxil less and actually posted a news article about it just a few weeks ago. You're reading too many Scientology sites.
I agree about doctors. I don't think they want to harm their patients. I think they just don't understand how bad the side effects and withdrawal effects really are. Unfortunately many doctors haven't yet gotten the messsage that the newer SSRIs are just as bad as paxil. It will take time.
Old 01-16-2010, 01:04 PM   #13
ArizonaWill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolly64 View Post
Well, an "insider" told me that MKULTRA HAARP mind control technology is being used by the government to send invisible particle beams of anxiety and panic into your brain because Big Pharma is paying billions to increase their customer base. Your only respite is to either take Paxil or to line your head with tin foil. It also helps to sleep inside a pyramid, which diffuses the evil particle beams before they reach your brain. Doctors, of course, are also being controlled by this technology.
Old 01-16-2010, 02:23 PM   #14
Junior

Quote:
Well, an "insider" told me that MKULTRA HAARP mind control technology is being used by the government to send invisible particle beams of anxiety and panic into your brain because Big Pharma is paying billions to increase their customer base. Your only respite is to either take Paxil or to line your head with tin foil. It also helps to sleep inside a pyramid, which diffuses the evil particle beams before they reach your brain. Doctors, of course, are also being controlled by this technology.
HAHAHAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAAHHAHAHAHAHHA

I LOVE it!!!

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg
2013 27 Jan-12mg, 11 Mar-11.5mg, 2 May-11mg, 10 July-13mg, added 12.5mg Amitryptline 20 July; 5 Aug-titrated up to 75mg, stopped @13 Aug due to SS

Last dose of 13mg Aropax 15 Oct 2013. Switched to Citalopram 21 Oct in an attempt to stabilise.

There are things that are known, and things that are unknown; in between are doors - Anonymous
Old 01-16-2010, 02:39 PM   #15
rain

Quote:

Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked.... LOL!!
rain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:28 PM   #16
ArizonaWill
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain View Post
Honestly, I wouldn't be shocked.... LOL!!
Well, my theory is that everyone who has free floating anxiety, panic attacks and OCD is suffering the unconscious consequences of alien abduction! According to some alien abduction therapists, 9 out of 10 Americans have been abducted by aliens, although very few consciously remember this! Nontheless, the psychological bleedthru occurs, especially for those poor souls who have had the anal probe (No! Not the anal probe!!!).

How can you tell if you are an alien abductee? Well, there are many hints. One includes waking up at 3:00 a.m. and saying aloud "Not tonight, Artog of the Galactic Federation. I have a headache" and putting a pillow over your butt (No! Not the anal probe!!!!).

Note: the above was meant only in Paxil tapering humor. I mean no offense to people who believe they have actually been abducted by aliens, and no offense to Dolly who began some of these more whimsical posts. Dolly, I do think Big Drugs Incorporated would do anything to get more profits, even addict new born babies to heroin if they could get away with it. But I do not think every GP doctor in the western world is part of this conspiracy. Most doctors just don't care enough about their patients because they are on a tread mill of seeing a person day after day, every 10 minutes or so. They do not have time to really resolve complex psychological and physiological problems. They can ask for blood tests (my doctor's favorite strategy to any complaint) or shove some pills in your hand, then yell "Next" to keep the flow in the waiting room going.

In closing, when you wish upon a star, make sure it isn't a space ship from Beta Epsilon (is that a solar system or a college fraternity?!?!).
Old 01-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #17
scotty
Administrator

Quote:
They can ask for blood tests (my doctor's favorite strategy to any complaint) or shove some pills in your hand, then yell "Next" to keep the flow in the waiting room going.
So true, so true!

Quote:
In closing, when you wish upon a star, make sure it isn't a space ship from Beta Epsilon (is that a solar system or a college fraternity?!?!).
roflmao!

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:36 PM   #18
Jynee

Quote:

I wanna tin-foil hat!

On Paxil for 6 years..

Tried unsuccessfully 2x's to reduce and get off within the last 2 years...(dr's messed me up)

Was forced to go almost "cold turkey" and was Paxil free for 5 weeks. (Mid-Dec 09 thru mid-Jan.) Had horrid w/d.

1/19/10 - back on at 15mg.
1/29/10 - back to 30mg.
2/2/10 - .5 mg Clonopin 2x a day
2/2/10 - 25 mg. Atenolol

2/22/10 - 40mg. Paxil
2/22/10 - 50mg. Atenolol
2/22/10 - .5mg Clonopin 1x a day

Jynee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:46 PM   #19
babs
"dare to suck big!"

Quote:
This might possibly be the best.post.ever. LMFAO!

Paxil 20mg 1994-2005
2 failed attempts to quit
Tapered Jan-April 2005 (because I didn't know better!)
Paxil-free since May 1, 2005
babs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 09:56 PM   #20
TryingtoGetWell

Quote:
Ah, a man after my own heart!

If my only recourses are paxil or lining my head with tin foil, I'll opt for the tin foil.

Suggest you line the pyramid you sleep in with tin foil also.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 10:39 PM   #21
carolyn
Hmm, horse penis and lemongrass?

If you line your head with tin foil, you get great radio stations beamed in to your brain, too!

10mg: May 2002 - August 2007 for panic disorder.
20mg: August 2007 - August 2008; doubled dose after hitting poop-out.
Started Cognitive Behavioral Therapy in August 2007. Recommended!
Tried to taper too fast in July 2008 and went back to 20mg.
Started to taper on August 2, 2008.
Dropped by 8% to 10% every three weeks.
Switched to liquid at 9.2mg on March 6, 2009.
PAXIL FREE: June 27, 2010
carolyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #22
Junior

Does this mean I can also receive digital tv?

Aropax (Paxil) taper:
2011 25mg- 18 mg
2012 17mg -12.5mg

Old 01-17-2010, 01:49 AM   #23
TryingtoGetWell

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn View Post
If you line your head with tin foil, you get great radio stations beamed in to your brain, too!
This is true.

But how do you change the station?
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
Old 01-17-2010, 01:51 AM   #24
TryingtoGetWell

Maybe they left the instruction manual out of my box of tin foil.

That's what I get for buying generics.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
Old 01-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #25
TryingtoGetWell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior View Post
Does this mean I can also receive digital tv?
Only if you use a converter box.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg