our logo
Freedom is in you...
You are enough. You are your solution.  
Go Back   paxilprogress > Paxil > Methods of Wellbeing
User Name
Password
Register Moderation Guidelines Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Methods of Wellbeing A discussion on how you're managing your state of health (herbs, vitamins, acupuncture, chiropractic etc.) NO LINKING TO COMMERCIAL SITES PLEASE. Paxilprogress does not investigate nor endorse any supplement program.

Adverse Drug Reaction Reporting    FDA Warnings    Published Withdrawal Studies    Pregnancy Warnings    Forum Psychology

Old 07-31-2005, 07:20 PM   #1
luminous

Rhodiola Rosea

Anyone tried this? i started on this thursday along with sjw because i`ve been so tired,fed up & lethargic for ages being off paxhell,but i may have overdone it on saturday i was wound up,irritable and spaced out!?.I didn`t like the feeling so just going to take one a day.
I do wish i`d read up a bit more,it seems to have a stimulating effect,should i try sjw or this for a while? (anxiety/dep was always my problem before i turned into a zombie i`d hate to go that way again).
Cheers
Al

Here`s a link on rhodiola
http://www.wholehealthmd.com/print/v..._10162,00.html
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 06:37 PM   #2
silence4now

Re: Rhodiola Rosea

I've read a lot about R. rosea but have never tried it. It is also used for stress. Check the source of your rosea - is it the root? You may try a different brand and see if you get better results.

I found that with Ashwagandha I responded better to a product that used the leaves and fruit rather than just the root. It was a matter of switching brands.
silence4now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2005, 07:19 PM   #3
luminous

Thanks,it is the root,and it certainly seems powerful,just going to take one in morning for now,i couldn`t sleep the other night when i took one morning & late afternoon.
luminous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 06:14 PM   #7
ss4krillon

i want to try rhodiola rosea. the supplement proloftin has this in it. but i am hesitant because i am on amitriptyline, an antidepressant - a low dose for headaches - 5 mg.. i think i would be best to be off of the amitriptyline before trying rhodiola rosea because of rhodiola's ability to mimik a maoi. any input would be appreciated.
ss4krillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:11 PM   #8
Healing

One of our members, altostrata, had a very bad blood pressure spike in reaction to Rhodiola Rosea. She was on Wellbutrin at the time. You might want to use the search function to see her past threads on this.
Healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2006, 11:59 PM   #9
sherijo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Healing
One of our members, altostrata, had a very bad blood pressure spike in reaction to Rhodiola Rosea. She was on Wellbutrin at the time. You might want to use the search function to see her past threads on this.
Ding! look up 3 posts! alto responded! Good morning!
sherijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 08:57 AM   #10
Healing

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherijo
Ding! look up 3 posts! alto responded! Good morning!
Oops!
Healing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2006, 10:06 AM   #11
ss4krillon

after more research, i find rhodiola rosea to be promising and encouraged for anyone wanting to fight stress and anxiety and depression. the thing is it probably needs to be made clear that while on any kind of anti-depressant to try and wean off before trying rhodiola rosea. some people could combine the two with no problems, but their are some who might have interactions with the two. i am going to wean off my anti-depressant and wait two weeks after being totally off of it before trying rhodiola rosea. also, has anyone tried proloftin? any sucesss with it?
ss4krillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2006, 06:26 PM   #12
sheacarney

Careful of this while in withdrawal too. I have a hard time with ANY supplement that effects the four major neurotransmitters. We just have no idea what kind of balance (or imbalance) our brains are in during the healing phase.

-Shea

Drug free since April 12th, 2005
sheacarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2006, 12:22 PM   #13
4mika

I've tried new Rhodiola supplement. I took 2 pills/day. Yesterday (day 4) I started to feel anxious around late afternoon - long time since it happened last time. I drank coffee earlier but I don't think it would give me this strange feeling, it's not just like being nervous.
Today I cut rhodiola to 1pill in 2 doses. I'll see what happens

Oh, it says that 1 pill is 150 mg of rhodiola root which includes 3mg of Rosavin and 1,5mg of salidroside.
4mika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:24 PM   #15
cinderella

Ive read its helpful in preventing the cortisol adrenaline fight/flight thing thats what I want to stop
aug 05 10
sept 05 5mg
paxil free since oct 05
Lost 3kg in 5 months (72kg to 69kg)
still waiting for the other 11kgs to go
Still suffer morning anxiety, jittery during the day
Paxil did help my anxiety/panic when nothing else did.

March 06 Reflux, burning, more anxiety worsen. Put back another 1kg : ( (70kg)
March 20 noticing hairloss scalp more visable
March 23 (68kg)
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 05:36 PM   #16
TryingtoGetWell

Hi Cinderella,

I don't know if what you read is correct or not. I took it while still on paxil, when I not only had chronic fatigue syndrome (long-term) but was having increasing hypersomnia and grogginess (which turned out to be worsened by the paxil, but I didn't know it then). I took it hoping it would make me more alert and give me more energy, which is what it's known for.

You could certainly try it, but I'd be very careful. I had a bad reaction to it even though I was almost stuporous and lethargic (still on paxil), and many people in this group have also. A lot of what's written about supplements and herbs is unreliable, even though there's some good information out there. I've been horrified by some of what I read about these things online but even in books!

If you try it, I strongly urge you to try it in very low doses and work up very gradually, but if you get worse just stop it, since it may aggravate your anxiety rather than help it. It's been so many years since I tried it I don't remember the exact symptoms, but instead of giving me more energy, I believe it gave me a very disturbing feeling instead. That went away after I stopped taking it and it cleared my system.
4/21/06 - 15 mg
4/27/06 - 10 mg
5/17/06 - 5 mg (none 5/20)
5/21-24/06 - 2.5 mg (5/22 - none)
5/25/06 - d/cd paroxetine
Felt better than in years, then gradual WD symptoms
6/17/06 - Bolted awake in blind terror, started E-ticket ride to hell
2010 - Leaving hell for balmier climate!
(Still on my pre-paxil 0.5 mg clonazepam)
TryingtoGetWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 09:50 PM   #17
cinderella

I tried 5htp and my anxiety during the night went thru the roof, I would like to try the rhodiola but am afraid. Trying fish oil again for now and Im on St johns wort (dont know if its helping or not) been on that for about 6 weeks.
aug 05 10
sept 05 5mg
paxil free since oct 05
Lost 3kg in 5 months (72kg to 69kg)
still waiting for the other 11kgs to go
Still suffer morning anxiety, jittery during the day
Paxil did help my anxiety/panic when nothing else did.

March 06 Reflux, burning, more anxiety worsen. Put back another 1kg : ( (70kg)
March 20 noticing hairloss scalp more visable
March 23 (68kg)
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:39 AM   #19
JoJenny99

I've had six years experience with Rhodiola, and so I thought I'd add to this thread. There is a lot of fear and skepticism evident here, and it is completely unnecessary. Rhodiola is a very safe and effective therapy, and it has been consumed by humans for more than 1,000 years. I was introduced to it by my doctor, who is a holistic MD. I take it in combination with my meds, but I've been able to reduce my meds to a VERY low level in comparison to where I had been before. As a result of Rhodiola, I believe that I am a much healthier person in a number of ways.

Here are the lessons I've learned over the years . . . As an herb, and not a drug, there are many different brands of Rhodiola and they are all a bit different, even though the "industry" tries to make it seem like they are "standardized." They try and say they are all "3% rosavins" for example, but that doesn't make one iota of difference. It is the quality of the product that does make the difference. I've tried them all -- in the first year, over ten different brands. The best ones I've found have ALL been products that I had to order online, as opposed to in a store. Health food store supplements were the absolute worst. I don't know why this is -- they were always cheaper as well.

Cheap rhodiola is what can cause problems. You can buy a bottle for $8 and all it will do is give you a headache. The secret is to take one from a company that specializes in this stuff. My doctor recommended a company ***************** and I was buying their product for a couple of years when they suddenly discontinued it . Luckily, their new formulation works even better for me, which is called **********. It is in a capsule, and it is water soluble, which is important for you that want to start with a very small dose.

I take MBS capsules apart and put the ingredients in juice. You can start at a half-capsule, but you'll end up taking 2 or 3 capsules a day when you get going on it (you'll quickly find that you like Rhodiola -- I'm serious that the secret is to avoid the junk they sell in the stores).

Rhodiola is not like the meds. It's more a feeling like the anxiety and depression is sort of just a memory -- you know its there in the background, but it doesn't come to the forefront. It also seems to provide some energy, which I had a deficit of along with my depression.

Good luck to you. JJ.

Last edited by scotty : 06-18-2009 at 04:29 PM. Reason: Company name removed.
JoJenny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 10:35 AM   #20
pax80

pax80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:44 AM   #22
LCrawford67
"Freakishly Optimistic"

Quote:
Originally Posted by altostrata View Post
JoJenny, a lot of people having withdrawal symptoms are hypersensitive to anything that is neurologically active.

Rhodiola may be fine for people with stable nervous systems but may cause problems for people with withdrawal syndrome. They need to be careful about whatever they add to their supplements or medications.
Absolutely. And, what works for one doesn't work for all.

Paxil, 20 mg since 1997, for IBS
Two unsuccessful attempts to quit.
Started tapering 11/27/06
PAXIL FREE 12/29/07

Today is the best day, EVER!
LCrawford67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM   #23
JoJenny99

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCrawford67 View Post
Absolutely. And, what works for one doesn't work for all.
I'd also like to suggest, as long as we are slinging cliches, that one doesn't know how good life can be if one doesn't experiment a bit. Taking a capsule of Rhodiola and experimenting with a half-capsule or so of this gift from God isn't going to hurt ANYONE. Its a plant for crying out loud. Sure, jumping in with 3 or 4 capsules a day could be a jolt on the nervous system, but this is water-soluble, mix with Cola stuff that just honestly makes your day go SO much better.

I am down to a third of what my meds used to be, and that's all due to Rhodiola. JJ
JoJenny99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 09:55 PM   #24
scotty
Administrator

Jojenny, what is your background with paxil or other ssri's?

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
MLK
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #25
Songbird
Queen of the appendage vocabulary

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoJenny99 View Post
Taking a capsule of Rhodiola and experimenting with a half-capsule or so of this gift from God isn't going to hurt ANYONE. Its a plant for crying out loud.
I'm glad it is helping you, but just because something is a plant doesn't make it safe. In general, herbal medicines are safer than pharmaceuticals, but they still should be used carefully.
Jan 07-Feb 08 20mg > 5mg Apr 4.5mg 5mg Jun 10mg Jul 20mg Oct Loxamine Dec 17.5mg 15mg
Jan 12.5mg > Dec 6.3mg
2010 Aug 6.15mg Nov 6 mg
2011 Feb 5.9mg Apr 5.8mg May 5.7mg Jun 5.6mg Sep 5.5mg Nov 5.4mg Dec 5.3mg
2012 19 Feb 5.2mg 14 Oct 5.1mg 6 Dec 5mg
2013 25 Jan 4.9mg 4 Jul 4.8mg 29 Aug 4.7mg 8 Oct 4.6mg 24 Nov 4.5mg 15 Dec 4.4mg
2014 18 Jan 4.3mg
Songbird is offline   Reply With Quote